Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Career in Finance through MSc Finance?!

MBA for physicians

I am thinking of joining either executive healthcare MBA or online MBA and mostly focussing on Duke, Is it possible for anyone to help me compare these programs?

I am not sure about Duke but I can help you with the following program:

http://management.bu.edu/gpo/fulltime/hsm/

after doing MSC finance you should go where you actually from , means to your home country and start servicing there you will be paid high as you are a foreign qualifier .

Hi,

I am having 3+ years of IT experience and presently working in a MNC.
    I am chemical engineering graduate from NIT Rourkela with a CGPA of 7.94. My average Mathematics grade is C during my engg days. I have a GMAT score of 710. I am planning to apply for Master of Financial Engineering from a US university.I have seen most of the Graduate Schools demand a good grasp of Mathematics (linear algebra. multi variate calculus).

I have already cleared CFA L1 last december and planning to take L2 next year June.

I am looking for ways to improve my profile so that my quants records look presentable infront of AdCom.
    I came across a diploma program from University of London (External Program) quaivalent to MSC in Maths. Also I found SOA ASA certification is rigourously quantutative - which one should I pursue to boost my chances to get into Top MFE programs?

Hey Rohit - Congrats on your good GMAT score!!

The MSc Maths program is better than SOA because the SOA is acturial studies related. The MSc will be more general. You can also look into some statistics programs. The adcom will like to see someone with good quant and statistical analysis skills.

Hi Sriram,

Thanks for respone - the reason I mentioned SOA is because some of the papers like Probability and Mathematical Finance - proficiency shown in these papers can be asset in my application. You mention some statistics program - can you elaborate?
    Also I have been seen proficiency in popular statistical package like SAS is considered to be a plus. How do I go about with this requirement?

By the way, I plan to address all my deficiencies in my application in the best possible way - i have 2 to 3 years timeline and trying to find ways to minimize rejection so that my application stands out from the rest of the applicants'. Therefore I am ready to take up any course which you feel will boost my chances without cutting corners.

Quote Originally Posted by rohitacmilan View Post
    Hi Sriram,

Thanks for respone - the reason I mentioned SOA is because some of the papers like Probability and Mathematical Finance - proficiency shown in these papers can be asset in my application. You mention some statistics program - can you elaborate?
    Also I have been seen proficiency in popular statistical package like SAS is considered to be a plus. How do I go about with this requirement?

By the way, I plan to address all my deficiencies in my application in the best possible way - i have 2 to 3 years timeline and trying to find ways to minimize rejection so that my application stands out from the rest of the applicants'. Therefore I am ready to take up any course which you feel will boost my chances without cutting corners.
    Rohit - You have a good GMAT score.
    Just curious -why are you not trying for MBA Finance?

Hi Anita,

MFE is typically 1 year course - The tution fees and living cost comes to approx 30 lakhs INR while a 2 year MBA will typically require 50+ lakhs INR.
    Secondly, 1 yr MBA in Finance from UK B Schools wont provide the depth what I am looking for.
    At this point of my career I am looking for a switch in Industry Domain - something which 1 year MBA cant provide. 2 yr MBA is what ia required (exorbitant cost is putting me off)

Finally, I want to get a good foothold in finance and then proceed for a executive MBA designed to develop leadership skills from top B-schools so that I can move into the top leadership bracket of the organization I aim to be a part of. In short, I haven't ruled out MBA, I plan to do it for learning leadership skills & general strategy not to switch to a different Industry.

I agree with your logic. Have you looked at any options in Asia? For e.g. the University of Chicago, Singapore Campus. These seem to be a cheaper option.

http://www-finmath.uchicago.edu/new/...singapore.html

Thanks Anita for the link -

I checked the info you have provided -

1. GRE scores will be required along with Math Subject test scores - that will require some additional effort although I am not shying away from it.

2. One good thing I liked is that prerequisite courses can be done remotely irrespective of whether I have been accepted in the program - I guess that at the end of 10 months of prerequisite course they will issue some sort of certificate - not very sure how will it help in application to MFE programs other than UC Singapore. The prerequisite course comes to around 2.5 lakhs INR. Is it worth spending so much when the same thing can be done at University of London Diploma for Maths for Graduate - http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk...tructure.shtml

The course more or less covers the entire prerequisite asked in most of MFE programs.
    Also it costs less than 1 lakh INR with assessment tests being scheduled at British Council centers across India.
    Only problem though I have only 80% in Maths in my class 12 exams - the requirement is 85% - I hope they will scrutinize the application on a candidate by candidate basis. Therefore I am not losing hope.

The MFE program looks to me as pretty reasonable in terms of tution fees and being in Singapore I will have good opportunities for internships at big hedge funds or I-BANKS. The University of Chicago is a big brand name so I shall definitely add it in my list of institutions to apply for.

One last question - have you come across of any program (equivalent to MSc in Maths) except for the one I have mentioned - if yes, please let me know.