Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Career in Finance through MSc Finance?!

Quote Originally Posted by anita123 View Post
    You have done really good research. This is definitely useful.

Tuition fees at ISI are generally very low (< INR 10-20k). However getting admission is generally the problem.

I understand that you'll do MFE eventually. But what kind of jobs can u get if u do a good Maths/Quant course like the ISI one? Can u get a Quant Analyst job in a good finance firm?
    One of my school friend did MStat from ISI and he got placed in JP Morgan as risk analyst.
    I have lost touch with him therefore cant give the exact description of his job profile.

By the way, what do you think of my decision of pursuing ASA as a part of profile building exercise.

It's good that you are planning ahead and ASA seems to be a good option. Are you also planning to take CFA? How'll you manage so many things?

Hi Sriram,

I am already through my CFA L1 and L2 due in next year June.
    Also if you see the VEE requirement for ASA actuary, you need to be CFA L1 & L2 cleared for fullfulling the VEE requirements.

- http://www.soa.org/education/exam-re...d-courses.aspx

It's real tough to manage all with a full time job.
    But somehow I am managing it.

Quote Originally Posted by rohitacmilan View Post
    Hi Sriram,

I am already through my CFA L1 and L2 due in next year June.
    Also if you see the VEE requirement for ASA actuary, you need to be CFA L1 & L2 cleared for fullfulling the VEE requirements.

- http://www.soa.org/education/exam-re...d-courses.aspx

It's real tough to manage all with a full time job.
    But somehow I am managing it.
    That's gr8 dude...All the best!!!

ReztuRaditya
    I did an MFE at one of the Ivy League school, and I am now working in a bulge bracket banks on the wall st. - not in M&A though

I would say that if you just want to get your feet into wall st- and sure in this economy is not an easy thing, MS in Financial Engineering gives you a better credential compared to some 21-year-old kid straight out of college.

However, this is just to get your foot into the door. From what I am seeing here, people with VP levels above, about 80% of them all have some big titles MBA....

Hope that gives you some idea.

arindamb

Career in Finance with IT profile experience.

Hello All,
    I am having an IT experience of around 6 years and in my last six years I have worked on finance domain involved in developing and supporting IT infrastructure for some of the global financial institutions. Presently I am working into IT division of a global bank. All my experience in this banking domain has been with the retail segment of banks.
    Now at present I am planning to pursue my career with the investment banking in a couple of years and therefore, thinking of taking up the CFA examinations. But, I am pretty much unsure of the nature of value addition it will give to my profile with my 6+ of experience in retail banking sector.
    I therefore am interested in knowing that if I qualify the CFA examinations(all three levels) successfully what sort of roles in jobs can I apply for and how easy or difficult will it be to get jobs for those roles. Also, I want to know the benefit that I can capitalize with my experience while applying for new jobs.
    If you can help me in providing me your inputs from all your experience on this, it will really help me in taking my decision.
    Thanks in advance!!

With Regards,
    Arindam.

Quote Originally Posted by arindamb View Post
    Hello All,
    I am having an IT experience of around 6 years and in my last six years I have worked on finance domain involved in developing and supporting IT infrastructure for some of the global financial institutions. Presently I am working into IT division of a global bank. All my experience in this banking domain has been with the retail segment of banks.
    Now at present I am planning to pursue my career with the investment banking in a couple of years and therefore, thinking of taking up the CFA examinations. But, I am pretty much unsure of the nature of value addition it will give to my profile with my 6+ of experience in retail banking sector.
    I therefore am interested in knowing that if I qualify the CFA examinations(all three levels) successfully what sort of roles in jobs can I apply for and how easy or difficult will it be to get jobs for those roles. Also, I want to know the benefit that I can capitalize with my experience while applying for new jobs.
    If you can help me in providing me your inputs from all your experience on this, it will really help me in taking my decision.
    Thanks in advance!!

With Regards,
    Arindam.

Arindam,

There are many IT engineers who are trying to shift to finance. So the task is challenging but not impossible. I have seen some members of this forum successfully changing to finance.

First: Learn as much as possible about the various fields in finance

Second: Try to see what type of job profile really interests you

Third: Then you can choose the certifications/courses that can help to make the transition

~Rohit~

Hi Rohit,

If a person is switching his profession (IT to Finance) after 6 yrs then the new job will be at entry level...? So, will the companies think that he is too old to make the switch..... Is there any way to leverage on IT & Project Mgmt exp and grow into Finance sector after spending some time at an entry level position ?

-Sneha Gera

Hi Arindam,

After having a six years of experience, you should not switch to others sector. As far as my experience is concern you may prepare for CFA examinations and there are several colleges like icofp provide full time and part time preparation program for CFA. But this certificate would be consider as an ad ons. Now its up to you.

Careers in Corporate Finance

A career in corporate finance means you would work for a company to help it find money to run the business, grow the business, make acquistions, plan for its financial future and manage any cash on hand. You might work for a large multinational company or a smaller player with high growth prospects. Responsibility can come fast and your problem-solving skills will get put to work quickly in corporate finance jobs.

The job of the banking administrator is to actualize amount for a company. For example, the accounts accumulation at American Electric Power of Columbus, Ohio has four capital areas of concentration: liquidity, flexibility, acquiescence with laws and authoritative support. AEP's Accounts Department carries out four capital activities to accommodated its objectives: 1) designing, implementing and ecology banking policies, 2) planning and active the costs program, 3) managing banknote resources, and 4) interfacing with the banking association and investors.

Jobs in accumulated accounts are aswell almost stable. Performance in these jobs counts, but your job is not traveling to depend on whether you're affairs abundant this anniversary or accepting acceptable deals accomplished this quarter. Rather the key to assuming able-bodied in accumulated accounts is to plan with a continued appearance of what traveling to accomplish your aggregation successful.

Abounding would altercate that accumulated accounts jobs are the a lot of adorable in the absolute acreage of finance.

Some of the allowances of alive in accumulated accounts are:

You about plan in teams which advice you plan with people

It's alot of fun to accouterment business problems that absolutely matter

You'll accept abounding opportunities to biking and accommodated humans and

The pay in accumulated accounts is about absolutely good.

__________________________________________________ ________________