Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Investment Banking?

Re: I-Banking after Engineering

hopefully man!...all hopes on the CFA thing!...what other certifications r u talking about?

haha....well said bro! :lol: almost every second IT person i meet tells me they wanna switch over to something else....they either do an MBA or come on forums like DG wondering how to get in even without an MBA :lol:

I'm a shade different...even b4 getting into an IT job, I come to DG and ask the million dollar question "How to" by starting off this thread

So are you joining IT firm or any finance firm?
    As far as I remember, you got placed in Patni computers, right.

More Important: Hows your prep going for CFA and what is your test location.
    Also which topics you have started first. As for me I am currently working on Fixed Income securities part.

Hey.....for other certificates I mean to say NCFM etc. These certificates are just for IT guys who by getting them become quite confident of breaking into IB's with a bang :ugeek:

Hi frendz,

I guess that the some students are bother about the entry into the I-Bank after having joined some engg. sector companies. But i would like to clear that, all banks make extensive use of computer networks and telecommunications and many engineers are employed in technology departments to develop new systems and maintain existing ones. No doubt that I-Banks hire engineers

Thanks girish for encouraging post.
    But you know this does not solve the problem of engineers to get into IBs.

Please provide some way to get into IB for Engineers. I hope there must for one. 8-)

You can try to become good stock investor & try to manage funds of some other ppl so that you can show the portfolio management. Also, any financial modeling course will also help to build up a good & attractive CV and hence you can leverage them.

Girish Khajuriya

@ Optimistical:

yes, your right.. I got into Patni. I'm still considering various options as of now. The IT thing is somehow not on the cards. I really like finance ...People talk about engineers getting into IB's for technology roles. Well, I don't want to just get into an IB for the heck of it. I want to get into a "real" finance job. So that definitely rules out those programming/sql IB jobs that people spoke about on the DG forum. I know getting into the real IB role is diff but not impossible. Lets c how it goes! 8-)

I'm starting the CFA prep in June after my exams end.

As for the certifications part, yes, I do have a few of those NCFM certifications, but I don't really know how they'll help. I took them just out of interest. I gained some good knowledge from them even before starting my prep for the CFA. U know of any other finance certifications that one can work on?? Have u secured a few NCFM certifications?

yeh.... I have given 2 NCFM cetifications. Derivatives and Option trading strategies.
    But you know these certifications are given by every other guy. So I don't think they help much.

yes...u are right...thts what i meant.....and secondly these exams r very very easy...the questions are all repeated....its very easy to score...so definitely a 90+ also doesn't mean anything much :cry:

NCFM is just for basic knowledge. It'll not help in getting the kind of jobs you guys want.
    Exams conducted by AMFI help financial advisors sell Mutual Funds and I don't think you guys want to get into financial planning and wealth management. NCFM will not be useful for IB.

yes I agree with you Neetu....and moreover from 1st June 2010, AMFI will stop conducting those exams. NISM will continue the mutual funds advisors module test. they have also come up with their interest derivative module. look it up....

www.nism.ac.in

any idea which among them will hav more weightage: AMFI or NISM??

btw, NISM has tied up with CFA institute....so NISM is gaining global recognition