Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Investment Banking?

Re: I-Banking after Engineering

Quote Originally Posted by time4apogee
    Thanks Sougata

Well, the first link you posted requires an MBA or a CA and they prefer someone with work experience...would I fit in?

Secondly, could you mention a few resources where I can learn excel modelling, valuation, et cetera?...some source that could keep it simple and explain from basics....

And yes, I've already started teaching myself F & O trading concepts..so i guess I'm on the right track :mrgreen:

I had seen that the position requires an MBA or CA but I'll suggest that you still apply. No harm in trying.
    I know that the firm is hiring now. They may hire you for some other position for which your profile is more suitable.

You can start by getting the study material for CFA Level 1. That's a very good starting point.

Y ea, I've already got Schweser Level 1 material...will that do?...also,presently getting my hands on the videos of schweser

somebody recommended a few books on this thread ^^
    what should i start reading first?...the cfa books or those mentioned above?

theres not too much about finance to write on my CV right now...should i just inquire about the requirements with o3capital or wait b4 i learn something and then apply??...i was planning to do the latter after completing engg...

Hi time4apogee,

Grt you have started for CFA level 1 prep.
    I am also planning to go for CFA level 1 this December. Can you please let me know from where you have purchased Schweser Level 1 material?
    Also as far as job is concerned, I completely agree with Sougata. Try you might get in.
    I think you should also start doing course on Financial modeling. I am looking for some good provider online for FREE.
    If you find any institution providing course in FM, please let me know.

Thanks
    Ashish

@ ashish

whats your background...from wer r u and what do u do?

i bought the material from laxmi xerox near mithibai college,vile parle,mumbai for 500 bucks..the also courier it to your place for 100 bucks extra..

are you talking about a financial modelling course online?........maybe we can expect Sougata or any of the senior members to reply on that....I've already asked about a few things in this thread...still waiting for a reply....

dear time4apogee
    As u know its very tough to get in investment banking without being CA ,B.COm from top college ,graduated from iit,iims or others top mba colleges in india.,but u can make ur profile that so u can get in Investment banking jobs in future.
    ucan do a engineering job studying alll the books i have mentioned +cfa enrollment .Once u cleared cfa l2 u can look out for these jobs.
    WITH CFA L2 u can go for MBA from INDIA or abroad..

Other option is like do ncfm courses ,some technical analysis courses and get job in Brokerage houses side by side u can go for cfa.AS u r from mumbai u will find lot of brokerage houses.

here r some institutes which provide short term program ,u can google them
    http://www.analytics.net.in/ -PUNE provide 4 week online -5 day intensive equity research program.
    http://www.austalgroup.net/education/index.htm --BANGLORE-Provide courses in Research &valuation ,Investment Banking
    ARC ACADMEIA -Delhi -Arm of Botique investment bank ARC FS provide various courses .They also provide internship .

Dear optimisticAL u can learn financial modelling by practice only .Work as much u can work on excel .Hre are some free resources
    http://www.financialmodelingguide.com/
    http://www.exinfm.com/
    Go for simon Beninga . Send me ur email id i can send u some resources

@ satyamgairola:

i'd prefer the latter...but what kind of jobs with brokerage firms should I look at ?...

u can mail me the resources at ... time4apogee(at)gmail(dot)com

dear time4apogee
    if u want to be in brokerage house pass ncfm papers(derivatives,debt,dealer) as they usually required.
    study technical analysis,intially simply u have to do trading for ur accounts but gradually by studying for cfa u can end up doing fundamental analysis.
    here are some links
    http://www.informedtrades.com ---very good website hundreds of video for learning technical analysis.
    http://www.financialmodellinguide--u can find very good classrom videos of learning technical anlysis.

http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/i ... ackground/
    http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/f ... et-school/

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by time4apogee
    "Y ea, I've already got Schweser Level 1 material...will that do?...also,presently getting my hands on the videos of schweser

somebody recommended a few books on this thread ^^
    what should i start reading first?...the cfa books or those mentioned above?

theres not too much about finance to write on my CV right now...should i just inquire about the requirements with o3capital or wait b4 i learn something and then apply??...i was planning to do the latter after completing engg..."

You can start with a basic book on corporate finance to learn concepts like Time Value of Money, NPV, IRR etc. You can then read the CFA L1 books.

Firms that recruit engineering students understand that you will not have much finance knowledge. They recruit because they like the analytical skills and trust your ability to learn. My friends from IITs had jobs in I-Banks without any finance background. They got the required training and they were basically building excel models.

In this case, o3 capital is a boutique investment bank and may not have the resources to train. So they'll require someone with the relevant background. However you can start talking to the investment bankers working there and try to understand what exactly is the requirement for an Analyst role.

You can start with a basic book on corporate finance to learn concepts like Time Value of Money, NPV, IRR etc. You can then read the CFA L1 books.

Firms that recruit engineering students understand that you will not have much finance knowledge. They recruit because they like the analytical skills and trust your ability to learn. My friends from IITs had jobs in I-Banks without any finance background. They got the required training and they were basically building excel models.

In this case, o3 capital is a boutique investment bank and may not have the resources to train. So they'll require someone with the relevant background. However you can start talking to the investment bankers working there and try to understand what exactly is the requirement for an Analyst role.
    [/quote]

Yea I already know a few concepts like time value money, etc

I did mail o3capital asking them the requirements so that i can start working on that...they replied saying that they've added me on their db...will let me know if there are vacancies...but they din't really tell me what they would want to me work on :?