Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Investment Banking?

Re: I-Banking after Engineering

Thanks, Naveen.

Well, what do u mean by 'analysts participate in recruitment activities of the firm'?

I mean they help senior managers arrange career fairs and help in recruiting interns etc.
    There are some administrative work that the analysts do to help the senior members of the team.

Naveen

ok!

Can anyone tell me what exactly is the role of a credit analyst? What skills do I need to get such a job?

Credit Analyst help organizations assess and control credit risk. For e.g. banks might need an analyst to judge the credit risk of loans. The Analyst may do the following:

Hi Guys !!

I stumbled upon this site today and I must admit that the forums, the discussions and so on are really interesting and informative. And obviously, the "I-Banking after Engineering" had my immediate attention.

I say obviously, because, like most of us here, I am an engineer. I am a BE in Electrical and Electronics from Manipal Institute of Technology(MIT), Manipal University (2009 Passout). Although I have always been interested in Finance, Investment Banking to be specific, I could never really get a break in Finance. I currently work in a Technology Consultancy company, and to be honest, I hate my job.

To my credit, I am a Certified Professional in Finance, a Certified Professional in Portfolio Management and a Certified Professional in Derivatives & Risk Management from the New York Institute of Finance. In addition to these, I also have Certificates in more than 15 modules from NYIF, covering the entire Finance domain. I have also completed a couple of NCFM modules, but don't really think that they really help.

Despite my domain knowledge in Finance, I currently do not work in a domain where I can leverage these skills and knowledge. I plan to take the CFA Level 1 this december, but I am still apprehensive about it. Reasons:
    1. Cost (I have to finance myself)
    2. Time and devotion (my current job does not let me have personal time)
    3. Most importantly, having gone through various posts, i am still not sure if this CFA level 1 examination could help me in the immediate future.

Also, I plan to do an MBA after maybe 4-5 years of experience, and feel that an MBA would really help me, and give my career a boost, if I was already in the Finance domain. So, to summarize, i want to get a Finance job (read: IB) before an MBA. I am trying my best to develop a profile which is best suited to a finance job, but, I have had no success till now. CFA level 1 could be a solution, or maybe an MSc in Finance from a reputed International University.
    The only reason I wrote all this is, because I fell that there are quite a lot of people with a similar dilemma/problem, and there are also quite a lot of people in this forum who can guide us. Although, i have gone through every post, I feel it would be wonderful if any one of you could suggest/share anything that could help me. Thanks!!

Hi Atul,

Welcome to the forum. Many of us are in the same boat.

The reasons that you have mentioned for your apprehension are valid and most people think in the same way. I'll like to address those issues.

1. Cost (I have to finance myself)
    The level 1 is a little more costly due to the registration fees. But if you can get a finance job, then this investment will be worth the time and money. If you complete at least 2 levels, then you'll surely get a job.

2. Time and devotion (my current job does not let me have personal time)
    This is something you have to work out. Depending on your priorities. You'll also have to sacrifice some weekend parties, movies etc.

3. Most importantly, having gone through various posts, i am still not sure if this CFA level 1 examination could help me in the immediate future.
    CFA Level 1 may not get you a job immediately but the CFA charter is very prestigious and in the long run be great for your career. So I am not sure about the short-term but it will be a competitive advantage even if you go for an MBA.

Naveen

Thanks for grt reply.

But do you feel that a person with IT background (3+ years) can also land into Finance Job (in India) after completing CFA L2? :?
    I am sure the first question from the interviewer will be why finance from IT.

it gr8 to see more IT guys trying to get into finance. Let's keep this thread alive to help each other out!

@ optimistical: i think that question can be handled 8-)

@ atul: u have so many certifications. i have not heard of the first few, but if they r really valuable then why don't you go out and try for a job..you might get in, given your inclination towards finance. Secondly, CFA will definitely help. I think you should go ahead with it.

@ time4apogee : Man this is India. You have to get an MBA to enter into IB's.
    At the same time I think that CFA might change this culture as our ecomony is growing but with other certificates I am completely hopeless.
    One more interesting point for you. This is what stat says: IT guys are more inclined towards finance than the guys who are already working in Finance because we IT guys know what the Whole IT is all abt!
    I hope you agree.