Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Investment Banking?

Re: I-Banking after Engineering

@time4apogee,
    I am also Engineering Graduate from BIT, Mesra. Currently I am working in Wipro Tech. in Kolkata with experience of 18 months.
    I also searched for Finance Jobs(during recession ) but didn't found any opportunity. Now I am planning to go for CFA level 1 this december.

@Sougata
    Is it possible or viable enough to appear for CFA level 1this december and level 2 in the next July? 8-)

Thanks
    Ashish

Yes, it is possible to pass the Level 1 in December and appear for the Level 2 exam in June.

I am doubting how much work you have at Wipro Tech.

@Sougatada,

If I plan to appear for CFA level 2 next June, then can I purchase the material of this year and start preparing.
    Will there be much change in the syllabus?

u mean your planning to study for level 1 and 2 simulteously?? :shock:

actually even i had the same question in mind, esp bcuz many others mentioned that level 2 in june will be diff if u take level 1 in dec....but no option now...gotta take L1 at the earliest...tht's dec....and then will take L2 the following June.

the syllabus varies marginally...around 10-15% every year..tht's what I've read...

Hi time4apogee,

Ya, if we start preparing from now onwards we will have plently of time. I think we can make full use of this time so that we can prepare both for level 1 and level 2.

Also today I talked to Laxmicenter and they told me that CFA level 1 material will cost around Rs 1000 + courier charges. But I have seen that u have mentioned earlier somewhere in the thread that the cost of material is 500 + courier charges. I am confused. :?

I understand that you guys want to best utilize your time. However studying for the both the levels will be a daunting task.

You will be allowed to register for the CFA L2 only if you pass L1. Last year the CFA Level 1 pass rate dropped to 34%. So I will suggest that focus well on Level 1 only. It's not only important to pass but also to build solid concepts.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-0 ... -says.html

The syllabus does not change significantly. So if you have time and want to do some extra readings, you can obviously do it.

@ Sougata: Hey, the results of the Dec 2010 Level 1 exam will come out somewhere in the latter half of Jan right??...u mean I'll be able to register only after that for Level 2??....what If im confident of clearing it and want to register beforehand?

The CFA Institute doesn't allow you to register for Level 2 without passing Level 1. So that's not possible.

If you are confident, you can start preparing. But registration will be only after the results.

oh alrite....thnx

dear time4apogee

If u r sure for appearing cfa1 in dec than enroll earlier u will have two benefits ,first u will save money,second u will get AIMR material as u enroll fo progam and its very good study material which help starters who have no backgound in finance .

Scheweser notes are good but they are good for persons having earlier finance background ,currently working &lesstime.