Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: What is Investment Banking?

Quote Originally Posted by MadisonBrowning View Post
    So I'm a newbie to this forum, and I've found DaulatGuru to be an AMAZING resource - I've spent the past 2 days solid reading all of the posts here.

Basically I'm really nervous about sitting my IB interviews, and I need all the prep I can get. I'm fine with Fin Modelling etc but its really the interviews that are really got me nervous. I've heard they can be absolutely ruthless.

I've found a few great free resources, notably M&I (but found them a bit too 'salesy'), Management Consulted - though for MCs I still found the learnings transferrable, and Inside Investment Banking's free tutorials have been really helpful also.

But I want to keep learning as much as I can so I'm fully prepared, so the buck can't just stop here.

Could anyone give me any tips for my resumes & interviews, I'm getting really desperate, and I want to be fully prepared.

What was your experience like?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Madison

Hi Madison,

Investment Banking interviews can definitely be tough.

You need to have solid understanding of finance concepts especially valuation. Did you already get an interview opportunity?

Neetu

Madison,

I had some investment banking interviews and had briefly worked with one in Boston. I'll share my experience:

The interview typically starts with "Tell me about yourself..."
    - This is a great chance to tell your story and mention your skills that are important for investment banking. Skills like good command over corporate finance, financial modeling in Excel, communication skills and ability to network with senior executives. Stress on your analytical and problem solving skills. The ability to learn quickly, deal with high stress situations and manage time effectively are all important and should come out when you share your stories/experiences.

Why do you want to work in investment banking?
    - Your passion for the work should clearly get conveyed. You have to show that you are really motivated by the thrill of working on big business deals. Learn more about Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A), Equity Capital Markets (ECM) and Debt Capital Markets (DCM).

Why do you want to work at this investment bank?
    - Speak to someone who is currently working in that firm, may be some alumni from your college. They will be able to give you a few points that will show that you have done solid research about the firm.

Questions on current affairs - especially related to current financial crisis in the Eurozone etc.
    -Read WSJ, Bloomberg etc regularly and that'll help you in answering such questions

Also be prepared for behavioral questions related to leadership skill, team work etc.
    - This job requires meeting a lot of senior managers, CXOs and selling strategic ideas. Networking skill is useful as investment banking is a relationship-driven business.

Investment banking requires a combination of technical, analytical and presentation skills, and most importantly people skills. So all the questions will be aimed to test these skills. A clear understanding of DCF/relative valuation is very important. Questions related to WACC, levered beta, FCFE etc. may be asked.

Often the interviewer asks if you have any questions...
    - This is a good opportunity to show your interest in the firm by asking a thought provoking question rather than something general or unrelated.

As an investment banker, you will get to work with a diverse group of clients and advise the board of directors or senior management level. Being involved in deals that can change industry dynamics and that hit the frontpage of newspapers is an amazing experience!

Wish you all the best!

Regards,
    Sougata

This is definitely one of the BEST advice I have read about Investment Banking interviews. Thanx Sougata!

Quote Originally Posted by sougatab View Post
    Madison,

I had some investment banking interviews and had briefly worked with one in Boston. I'll share my experience:

The interview typically starts with "Tell me about yourself..."
    - This is a great chance to tell your story and mention your skills that are important for investment banking. Skills like good command over corporate finance, financial modeling in Excel, communication skills and ability to network with senior executives. Stress on your analytical and problem solving skills. The ability to learn quickly, deal with high stress situations and manage time effectively are all important and should come out when you share your stories/experiences.

Why do you want to work in investment banking?
    - Your passion for the work should clearly get conveyed. You have to show that you are really motivated by the thrill of working on big business deals. Learn more about Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A), Equity Capital Markets (ECM) and Debt Capital Markets (DCM).

As an investment banker, you will get to work with a diverse group of clients and advise the board of directors or senior management level. Being involved in deals that can change industry dynamics and that hit the frontpage of newspapers is an amazing experience!

Wish you all the best!

Regards,
    Sougata
    Solid Advice!

MadisonBrowning

Graduate Jobs in IB for 2013

I know its jumping the gun a bit but what are you all doing to prepare for 2013?? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MadisonBrowning View Post
    I know its jumping the gun a bit but what are you all doing to prepare for 2013?? Thanks
    Dude,

Don't worry so much.
    It's a bit early to start preparing for investment banking jobs in 2013.

Try to speak to some I-bankers and find if you'll really enjoy what they are doing.

MadisonBrowning

Intro to Investment Banking

Hey everyone. A lot of people on these forums, including myself, are pretty new to Investment Banking and other areas of finance, and would like to learn more about it. So everyone who wants information can get some from the websites outlined below, and if anyone else has other useful sites please add them to this thread. I've spent a lot of time gathering resources together and I hope these become of use to people and help them get the information they require.

A very good place to start:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investment_bank

Progressing Further:
    Here (DG) of course
    http://insideinvestmentbanking.com
    http://www.efinancialcareers.co.uk/
    http://www.careers-in-finance.com/ib.htm
    http://www.ca.courses-careers.com/banking.htm
    http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowP...owgrp&grpno=J7 (Corp. Finance and Operations)
    http://www.wetfeet.com
    http://www.vault.com
    http://news.hereisthecity.com/

Hope this helps guys ..

Warning: The sites posted contain content which I am not responsible for. If any false information is provided, then I am sorry. Please also note some sites have different perspectives.

Types Of Roles Within An Investment Bank:

All roles fit into three categories; front office, middle office, back office.

Front office is generally described as a revenue generating role. There are two main areas within front office: Investment Banking and Markets. Investment Banking is basically advisory on mergers, acquisitions and fund raising. Markets is then split into further divisions; sales, trading, some research and also structuring.

Middle office roles generally comprise of risk management positions. This can be seen as more cost cutting roles, as middle office positions involve analysing and evaluating the risk taken by front office employees. This can be done by setting limits on the amount of money available to trade with, for example.

Back office roles are mainly operation roles and include the technology division. Operations employees are used to make any transfers, and generally ensuring there are no errors in hat is being performed.

What is the Bulge Bracket?

Bulge Bracket is the term used to describe banks who the largest in terms of size and in terms of profitability. These are generally known as Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, J.P. Morgan and Merrill Lynch. However, there are other banks which are bigger in certain locations such as UBS and Deutsche Bank in Europe and Citigroup in the U.S.

What A-levels Do I Need?

Specific A-Level subjects are generally not that important as long as you do well in them. Maths should almost definitely be taken. Alongside Maths, good choices would be Economics, Physics, Further Maths. An essay-based subject and/or a language would also compliment these choices. Minimum grades required to enter Banking are on the up, and as it stands ABB/AAB is the minimum required.

Which Degree Do I Need To Study?

Investment Banking, as it is known in everyday language today, comprises of many different roles and positions. Some require a great amount of technical knowledge, where as some might require a great ability to work under extreme pressure. Due to different natures of the business, it is possible to enter Banking with a variety of degrees. Examples from this very forum include Economics, Politics and even Geography. Corporate Finance and Sales roles tend to be filled by graduates from all kinds of degrees including Arts, where as the majority of Trading and Quant positions are taken by people who have completed degrees with a substantial Mathematical element in them. These degrees usually include Economics, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Engineering, and Accounting & Finance.

Which University Do I Need To Go To?

This is up to much debate, but to be fair, there is a general trend followed by all Investment Banks. Oxbridge students are very much sought after by Banks, regardless of which subject you are studying; Maths, English, French & Philosophy or Land Economy. On par with Oxbridge are students from the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE). LSE offers much less choice in terms of degrees available, and they are pretty much all related to Banking. LSE is considered to be a breeding ground for bankers, and coupled with the fact it is in London, it is perfect for Banking. After Oxbridge and LSE;

Imperial College
    Warwick/UCL
    Nottingham/Bristol/CASS/ICMA
    King

Thank you Madison...this is very helpful!

if you have an interest in the investment i suggest you to do CFA US BASED.

Vow....some great tutorial on investment banking. There is a great career ahead in investment banking and this post is a great place to start.