Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CFA from ICFAI

Unhappy CFA from ICFAI

hey ...can i get some info regarding this course...is it worth doing??
    Do finance co.s pay importance to this certification?

Re: CFA from ICFAI!!!!!

Acc. to me this course is good if you are looking for Finance job in India.
    But i doubt recognization of this course outside of india.
    Thanks.

I have a question regarding CFA from ICFAI.
    I am an MBA finance graduate and at present i am persuing CFA from ICFAI.
    will this course will add any advantage to my career. What kind of job should i expect after completing CFA as i am also an MBA Finance graduate.

Thanking you,
    satish kumar

Talking Re: CFA from ICFAI!!!!!

The CFA from ICFAI is good but I don't think that it is respected outside India. So I am not sure how MNCs perceive this certification. But for Indian firms, it's fine.

As you are also doing a MBA in Finance, the CFA will be your competitive advantage in the job market.

I have done the CFA from ICFAI and it helped to get a job in a stock trading firm as an analyst. So it might help sometimes. When I was searching a job, all the Investment Banks and Private Equity firms preferred the US CFA because of the global recognition.

Can someone upload some sample question papers of ICFAI's CFA...that'll help me to understand how tough it is...

Indian CFA or CIIA from ACIIA,Switzerland

Hi,

I am a Marketing Professional with Engineering as a graduation. I am seeking to do a certification course in Finance. After evaluating various options like CFA (international), CFA (Indian), CIIA, FRM, etc. I would like to compare job prospects after Indian CFA and CIIA. I have following questions:
    1) Which of the two courses is well recognised in the investment banking/equity research industry?
    2) What if I have to look for jobs overseas? which certification would be better?

Any help / guidance in this regard is well appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Indian CFA or CIIA from ACIIA,Switzerland

Hello Ashish:

1) Which of the two courses is well recognised in the investment banking/equity research industry?

The most comprehensive and well recognised course for an equity research role will be the CFA from the CFA Institute, US. The Indian CFA will not get much importance if you apply to investment banking jobs in companies like JP Morgan or Goldman Sachs. The Indian CFA can help you to get jobs in companies like India Infoline or Edelwiss.

2) What if I have to look for jobs overseas? which certification would be better?
    For overseas jobs, you will be better off with certifications from globally recognized institutes like GARP which provides the FRM certification.

But there are some more important factors then just certifications. You can look at the profile of Robert Diamond, CEO of Barclays or Jamie Dimon, CEO of JP Morgan etc. Most of them don't have any of these certifications.

Hi Kumar,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I evaluated CFA (international), CFA (Indian), FRM and CIIA courses. I am an engineer with MBA marketing specialization. Undestandably so, my fundamentals and conecpts in Finance are not as strong as required to clear CFA (international) and FRM.Hence i foresee a risk of not getting through which would end-up in loss of time,energy and money for me. Hence I zeroed in on CFA (Indian) and CIIA (ACIIA, Switzerland) which i see are relatively easier to attempt.

Actually my CV lack a degree or certification in finance which rules me out of many good opportunities where i can actually fit becuase my experience in business consulting. This is the foremost reason why I am aspiring for a certification in finance.

It would be great if you can provide me an opinion or comparison between the two shortlisted course i.e. Indian CFA and CIIA. In case you have any other good certification course in your knowledge which i can attempt, feel free to suggest.

Thanks again for your reply.

Hi Ashish,

Firstly, I think you shouldn't assume that you'll not be able to do the international CFA. It's tough but at least the CFA Level 1 should not be very difficult. However if you have decided against it, then the Indian CFA should be good. You can get some entry level finance jobs in India. After a few years of experience and with your MBA, you can try for more opportunities in other parts of the world.

- Neetu