Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: FRM and general information

FRM changing its format

Hii evryone...

Did you know that November, 2009 will be the last time that you can sit for the Full FRM Examination? Though many of you may already know this, I still thought that I'll share this information.

What's the point in increasing the number of levels of FRM exams? Are they going the CFA way? :?

Re: FRM changing its format

It's all a money making policy dude...US is finding innovative ways to come out of the recession!
    :lol:

Hi All,
    I am new to this forum.
    I need information related to FRM. How much USA & UK colleges fare students during admission with FRM degree. :? I mean if i don' t have FRM or CFA certification do I stand good chance for admission as compare to students having these certification.
    Please help!

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by optimisticAL1
    Hi All,
    I am new to this forum.
    I need information related to FRM. How much USA & UK colleges fare students during admission with FRM degree. :? I mean if i don' t have FRM or CFA certification do I stand good chance for admission as compare to students having these certification.
    Please help!

Thank you!

Definitely a CFA or FRM boosts your chances of admission. If you already have several years of finance work experience, then the CFA or FRM is not necessary. But if you are a fresher or an IT engineer with no finance experience, then certifications are an important way to distinguish yourself...You have to stay build a competitive advantage somehow...

How much time on average is required to prepare for FRM? I have not registered yet for Nov exam and planning to do so...
    :?

I was working at Lehman Brothers (when it existed :-)) and took the FRM exam. It took me 3 months to prepare with a full-time job. So it shouldn't take more than that. But also depends on your schedule and how much time you can put in.

Hi Kavitha R,

How FRM and PRM different? Can I substitute PRM with FRM as appearing for PRM is more flexible 'n' cheaper than appearing for FRM.
    Please provide your valuable ffedback on this.?

And also I am back into the forum

Welcome back! :-0
    Professional Risk Manager (PRM) Designation is also popular but FRM is more recognized. In many job postings I have seen FRM as something preferred and not PRM. Also candidates are required to pass four exams to be awarded the PRM designation and it's just one for FRM if you try this year.

Chk this:
    http://mfe.berkeley.edu/faqs.html#admissions-6

Even Berkeley recommends either CFA or FRM. So even though PRM may be cheaper, FRM will have a better NPV :-)

FRM and general information

Hi All,
    As we all know that GARP has taken off the Full tests and broken it down in two levels, the various registration details can be found at
    http://www.garp.com/frmexam/fees.aspx?e ... 0_22_120_4
    As a FRM (full) taker in Nov, 2009, I thought it would be better if I can give you guys some details helping you towards the decision of taking FRM or not.
    Points to think before you decide to take the test:
    1) Long term goals - Risk management as a career can become monotonous at times, please dont take the certification if you are looking at it from the campus placement point of view as at this point in time not many banks are offering roles in Risk to freshers
    2) FRM is only for Banks - With the current syllabus, FRM is only applicable for Banks and some FI.
    3) Prep Time - A decent level of understanding will only come if you prepare for some 4-5 months with an average of 4-5 hours everyday. There are people who take less time, but trust me you will be scared if you prepare less and this is one thing you dont want before the test.
    4) Resources - Handbook, course material from Schweser, BionicTurtle or any decent prep material. Make sure you also visit the site of such course-providers, they are very helpful. GARP site also gives you a prep paper which will help you gauge your level of prep.
    5) Job Opportunities - As of now, the certification is not that recognized in India and hence betting on this for jobs can be a bad decision

Let me know in case anyone of you have any other queries.

Re: FRM and general information

Thanks a lot Nikhil.

Do you have some sample question papers for the FRM exam? How much time did it take for you to complete the preparation?

- Neetu