Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Transitioning to a Career in Finance...

Re: Transitioning to a Career in Finance...

Hello,

My understanding is that for I-Banks, the skills that are required for asset management responsibilities, such as portfolio management, are usually obtained by professionals who worked their way up through the ranks. The CFA program was devised to provide charter holders with specialized skills, such as investment analysis, portfolio strategy and asset allocation. On the other hand, the skills obtained after MBA are more suited for marketing or general management which will be useful outside the I-World.

-Lalit Sen

@Lalit:

My question was not to differentiate between MBA and CFA, but whats the worth of doing CFA for Engineers. :?
    Will they land any Job even after completing L2.
    Please provide some info on this.Rest we will take care :mrgreen:

Hi,

I was recently attending a CFA conference and met many people who are not MBAs and are CFA Charterholders. They have done well in the finance field. So MBA is not compulsory.

As far as finding job in US/UK is concerned, it is a function of the economy. Right now the economy is not in a good shape. There is an excess supply of finance professionals in the developed countries. The growth is more in developing countries and in emerging markets. There are less CFAs in Asia and so there will be more opportunities in Singapore, Hong Kong etc.

Regards,
    Sougata

Well, then how does one apply to firms in Hong Kong and Singapore,etc ??

@Sougata: Can you please throw some light on the mood of the people present over there in the conference over financial market in coming year or two.
    Where they optimistic or still quite pessimist about the market.
    I think it was a grt experience for you to be part of that conference.

Yes again, did you find that finance firms are ready to accept guys with just only CFA in this market condition in US and UK and in emerging economies like Sing/HK.I know it will take time to start accepting people without MBA in IBs (at least in India :cry: ) but the way the CFA is aggressive in going global will surely make this degree quite valuable in coming years.
    Thats what I hope!

The general mood at the CFA conference was positive as things seem to be improving. However there was much more optimism for Asian countries than US or Europe.

There are firms like CLSA, Standard Chartered etc. who hire many Indians for positions in Singapore and Hong Kong. It is competitive but possible. There are less CFAs in Asia compared to US. So as the Asian economies grow, the CFA will be useful. At least it will help in giving you some competitive advantage.

Finding a job in other countries is always a challenge. Try using LinkedIn and talk to people who are in the financial services industry in Hong Kong and Singapore. They can guide you by sharing their experience.

There are some job sites exclusively for finance jobs like http://www.efinancialcareers.com/.
    The following Indian firm also has some good finance opportunities:
    http://www.vitoindia.com/

Thanks Neetu.

Is the CFA really important for corporate finance jobs? I mean jobs that are related to finance but in a non-finance company.

Naveen

Hey Friends,

I have found some Financial Management Case Studies/Notes/Presentations that are pretty useful. Click this link:
    http://fiveandone.wikispaces.com/Financ ... se+Studies

The note on Valuation for M&A is really good.