Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Transitioning to a Career in Finance...

Re: Transitioning to a Career in Finance...

Hi Sougata,

Excellent explanation. It seems that you are major in finance..!!

What are the different levels in an investment bank? I was wondering what the hierarchy looks like. I met a very young VP of an Indian ibank...around 30yrs.
    How come people become VPs so fast?

Its possible...Analyst spend 2-3 years after which they are either promoted to an Associate level or they go for an MBA...Associates spend 3-5 years before becoming a Vice Pesident(VP)....Some firms have an intermediate title called AVP(Asst Vice President)...Typically the I-banking hierarchy looks like this:

Analyst-->Associate-->VP-->Director-->Managing Director-->Head of Group

I hope I solved your query

I agree with the above post.

Just to add...an Analyst is generally like an Excel jockey working on models and typically an undergrad.
    An Associate may be an MBA an manages a small team of Analysts...An Associate is involved in financial modeling and talking to clients etc.

So after 2-3 yrs of exp as analyst, people then go for MBA, CFA etc and go back as an associate.

A VP is involved in transaction execution and strategy. He has many deal-making experiences and a few yrs of work exp.

Sr VP/ Director may be involved in Industry coverage/relationship management.

The MD does client coverage, sales and invests his time in networking, business development etc and so he gets the deal and must travel a lot.

More senior executives oversee the overall business operations.

Thanks guys for helping out!

Hello,

This is Ritesh Amarnath from Dhanbad. I am an electrical engineer with 4yrsof work exp. Currently, I am working in a service center company in procurement department. Now, I am no more interested in the current stream & area and seriously wants to switch towards Finance career within short period of time. Can anyone would like to help or guide me. I know that i am too late for this.... But now i am clear about my goal.

Thanking you,
    Ritesh Amarnath

Hi Ritesh,

It's not late to change. In fact your experience can be leveraged for your benefit. It might be helpful if you try for positions in financial research for the industry in which you are currently working. You can do some courses or certifications and get a chance to work in finance firms.

All the best!

- Neetu

Dear Neetu,

Thanks for the reply & suggestions. In my company their is no area/profile for the Finance research. So, I am planning to do some certifications but I am confused about CFA and FRM. Which can provide me better career..? For CFA, there are 3 levels & i guess that without clearing all 3 levels I won't be required by any I-Banker or similar companies. What is the cost involved in the both (CFA & FRM). Already I am 3+ exp working professional.

-RItesh Amarnath

Hi Ritesh,

It is clear that CFA degree has an added advantage over FRM. It's both salary & career wise. Once you are CFA (after clearing all the 3 levels), your salary will be enormous high. That benefit you won't be having by doing only FRM. After CFA-L1, you can get a job in I-Banking..etc. CFAs are respected and recognized by anyone in the financial world.

-Girish Khajuriya

Hi friends,

I need your hep. I am unable to decide whether i should move for CFP, CFA or MBA...? Which career is more futuristic & secure? Pl give ur inputs :?

Ganti Murthy