Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Various career options in Finance

Re: Various career options in Finance

If u really want to make career in finance then dont look instituite which teach only cfa 1 curriculum as cfa1 is all abt fundamentals less abt practical aspect & which can be done by self study.So i will suggest join Institute which provide comprehensive financial modelling and Financial research etc programme

Dear forum,
    can somebody share some ideas how to prepare and courses a person needs to do if he wants to go in fixed income division of Investement Banking

Thanks

Are you looking for a bond trader kind of position? Or are you looking for an Associate-level position in the Debt Capital Markets division of an investment bank?

Mostly an MBA/CFA helps to get such positions.

Thanks Neetu for your quick reply,

I am looking for a bond trading or similiar kind of trading position. I know they are difficult to crack into but I wanted to get an idea, how should one plan for such position. I am hopeful of starting my MBA in a top 20 college in 2011 and was wondering if there is anything else which I can do.
    I am from a non mathematical background which again complicates the thing, but I am working on my maths.
    I was in doubt whether CFA will be a useful qualification for me,as many people say it is more for the people who want to go in equity research or Investment management. Please kindly advice

Thanks

Re: CAREER IN QUANTITATIVE FINANCE

Thanks for the useful info

The CFA will definitely help you in increasing your knowledge and credibility in the job market. But getting a job in bond trading is a different game. The fact that you are not from a mathematical/engineering background makes it a bit harder.

I used to work in a trading job. Though it was not bond trading, it was related to interest rates derivative trading. I think you should be flexible on the entry-level job. Take any trading position and develop the basic skills. After that you can shift to bond trading when you get that opportunity.

Thanks Neetu,
    Great, so how was your experience of interest rate derivative trading and how is the life on the trading floor ( apart from being stressful), and what sort of work did you use to do??
    I just want to get a glimpse of the life on the floor.

Thanks

@ Black: It's interesting that you want to get into fixed income trading....Usually, most of the people that want to get into these banks talk about IB not S&T. So, it's really interesting to hear about your decision, especially cuz you've even decided what exactly you want to trade in: fixed income and not equity. Any specific reason you want to get into bond trading?

Sales and Trading is a high pressure environment and you make decision on your feet, this what excites me in Sales and Trading. The idea of making recommendation for others to act, is not something which I want to do in my life.
    Bond trading involve you to have a fair bit of Macro economics picture and a knowledge of Poltics ( for soverign debt) and this is the area which is my real passion, so I am working to break into Bond Trading

Thanks

Well thought out decision 'Black'! :-)