Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Various career options in Finance

Should I specialize in Finance?

I am a MBA student at Bangalore...I have equal knowledge of finance and marketing...so that's basically nothing :lol: as I was at TCS before the MBA course.

So my question may be a bit stupid...but I'll still ask...
    I am not an extrovert and my people skills are not so good. So I think that I'll not be able to excel in marketing...as it involves good communication skills etc. I am an engineer and my quant skills are good. So I am able to work with no.s which is useful in finance.

That's the entire logic of choosing finance over marketing.
    What should I do? Or how should I decide which branch I should specialize in?

Re: Should I specialize in Finance?

I think, it is the basic psyche of all finance aspirants. All the finance aspirants like to think numbers more than english words most of their working hours. At the same time finance is the appropriate platform to excel in computation and quantitative abilities. For this reason also engineers are more prone to study finance than marketing or SCM etc.

Angry Re: Should I specialize in Finance?

It's a myth that if you don't have good soft skills then you can suceed in finance. Just maths is never enough.

Marketing also requires good quant skills for analytics and research. Marketing always doesn't mean selling.

Infact if you are in investment banking you'll have to convince Board of Directors and CEOs for M&A deals. If you are in investment management, you'll have to sell your fund to potential investors. So lot of communication required in finance too!

Choosing a specialization paper (finance or marketing) is subjected to your interest and the competencies required to excel in that field. In my opinion, people skills can be acquired. If you have good analytical bent of mind coupled with organizational skill, people skills then you should opt for marketing. Being from engineering background will help you in making your career in industrial marketing.

Since, you are not from commerce background and even if you specialize in finance then also chances are very bleak to get hard core finance profile. Most probably, you will be getting the profile of marketing of financial products. People who are getting hard core finance profile are from commerce background+CA/ICWA+MBA (Finance).

Wish you best of luck!

I agree with Sushil on the first part but not on the second part.

The students who are going to IIMs are mainly from an engineering background. Yet most of them get finance jobs. In fact event in this recessionary times, most people have got finance jobs. So you do not necessarily need a commerce background to get into a finance job.

Having said that, I also believe that sometimes a commerce background helps. If you are not from a reputed institute and some firms want you to do accounting or tax-related jobs, then they'll prefer commerce graduates. There is a BIG difference between finance and accounting. Sometimes we confuse that.

I agree with Kaushal!

Firstlym, finance has many fields - corporate finance, investment banking, retail banking, asset management, tax and audit and list is endless. While other professinal degrees (CFA/ CA) are required for positions in Tax and Audit and sometimes corporate finance, the other fields are not so stringent about that. So decide where you wanna go.

Second, the subjects you choose in school are not an end to your career choices in the future. You will be surprised to see how career of most people progress. Its not necessary that CFO's had finance as a major in MBA's. Take subjects which interest you.

Last but not the least, there are certain finance courses which teach you skills which are otherwise hard to gather - like portfolio management which would include stock valuation etc. I suggest such subjects should be taken if you have inclination towards finance.

From most of the above discussion, I can understand that when it comes to Marketing vs Finance - a lot more research is required. Just because we might be good at maths and not so good at people skills, we cannot prefer Finance over Marketing.

Various career options in Finance

I am in the first year of my MBA program. I want to know about the various job profiles in finance and the hierarchy in the finance firms. Where can I find this info?

Re: Various career options in Finance

u can chk out this link:

http://www.daulatguru.com/resources

Hi,

I have heard a lot about CFA. So, can anybody guide me about CFA??

Lalit Sen