Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Career in Finance through MSc Finance?!

Thank you for all the inputs. My main concern right now remains how should I go about applying to these various firms since I would be oblivion to the various job openings. I read the interviews that Sougatab mentioned. Just a suggestion, please have some interviews aligned on the lines of how to break into the world of finance without an MBA, various ways to expand your network and what to expect once you get in. I liked the interview of Brian Skiba among all. But if you can have someone from India painting his/her finance story, it will be of tremendous help to the aspirants since it will become very easy for us to relate to and try to follow his tips.

What are the odds for a fresh engineering graduate to get into the biggies like Barclays Capital, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley etc for the role of an analyst? And also what are the chances of these firms sending me abroad to work if I genuinely show my interest? (I just saw the Barclays Capital HQ in NY and I'm so keen to make it my work-place. I know this is very trivial! )

And about networking, I tried using the LinkedIn but to no avail.
    Can anyone please PM me the contact details as in email addresses of anyone from India who worked as an analyst straight after graduation without an MBA in the banks like Barclays Capital, GS, Morgan, Credit Suisse, Deutsche? Preferably someone who got in via off campus recruitment.
    It will be of much help to me since I can directly bombard my firm-specific queries onto them and also know about the various ways they adopted to get in.

Thank you once again. DaulatGuru is turning out to be the best thing that happened to the world wide web.

Quote Originally Posted by misguided.ghost View Post
    Thank you for all the inputs. ......
    Thank you once again. DaulatGuru is turning out to be the best thing that happened to the world wide web.
    I am also glad to find this website.

@misguided.ghost

Did you randomly email people on LinkedIn? How did you use it and what messages did you send?

Saurabh Agarwal had worked at Lehman Brothers after his engineering from IIT Kharagpur. He is my friend and I can connect you with him. You may check his profile at:
    http://in.linkedin.com/pub/saurabh-agarwal/8/195/738

Let me know if you want to speak to him.

@Sougatab
    Please please please connect me with him. I've PMed you my email id.
    Thank you so very much! Really appreciate it.

@Naveen
    I'd have emailed random people if I'd have had an access to their email addresses but since I don't have an upgraded LinkedIn account, I'm not able to dig up any of their contact details. One thing that I thought of doing is searching for the people who worked as an Analyst in any of the big firms on LinkedIn and then making a quick search of their name on Facebook and thus getting in touch with them.
    Yes, I'm that desperate to expand my network!

I have sent you a PM with the details.
    All the best!

A finance MBA program can be completed in under two years, and is an attractive opportunity for students who want to excel in their finance career.

Guys,
    A great acheivement by Prof. Tarun Khanna. Please go to the below link and read the whole news:

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/6698964.cms

Thanks
    Ashish

Thanks for the article Ashish. Many Indian profs are doing well in foreign universities.

Thank you Sougatab for the contact details. I've emailed him and I'm waiting for his reply since. Let me know if you know anyone else who can help me out. More the merrier (:

Cheers!

A good way to learn about recent developments in the finance industry and network with senior executives of finance firms is by attending relevant conferences.

The CFA Institute will organize an India Investment Management Conference in Mumbai, India, on 7 Jan 2011. Keynote speakers include Abby Joseph Cohen, CFA, president of the Global Markets Institute; and Aswath Damodaran, professor of finance and David Margolis Teaching Fellow at the Leonard N. Stern School of Business at New York University.

Try to find out about such events in your city and attend them.