Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Career in Finance through MSc Finance?!

Career in Finance through MSc Finance?!

I am trying for MSc Finance from University of York, UK.
    I am interested in jobs in Finance (Analysis-Equity,Investment and research). What do you think about my chances of getting into Finance field after MSc. Currently Im a CFA lvl1 candidate!! Please also comment on University of York (Reputation, job prospects and teaching)

Re: Career in Finance through MSc Finance?!

Hi,

I am not sure about University of York but I have friends in LSE. I got some feedback from them regarding the finance job scene. The MS course will be good and also your CFA will help. But at the end of the day, jobs are tough to get. The basic problem is that you will be an international student. After this recession, most countries are having protectionist policies and having tougher immigration rules.

Chk this if you want details regarding work visa in UK: http://www.hsmp.uk.com/

However, if you want to come back to India or work in Asian countries like Hong Kong and Singapore, this course can be helpful. There are more jobs in the Asian countries than in UK or US.

Well, LSE is out of question since its to costly (GBP 21000+) Even LSB, Manchester, Kings and Imperial are very expensive!!

One more chance is Leeds or York!! York has better rankings in every survey (always top 10) Any other you suggest?

And yeah, I want to work in UK for atleast 2 years to get international exposure!!

One more choice is going for MBA(I just have 1.6 years of experience) So what Universities do you suggest for MBA which requires no experience!!

Hi,

You have to make a choice between MBA in Finance or a MS in Finance. It'll depend on your career goals.
    If you want corporate finance roles, MBA in Finance will be better. If you are looking for a Quantitative Analyst kind of role, then MS Finance will help.

MBA is going to give you a broader knowledge whereas MS will give you deeper knowledge.

You'll be having 2+ years of experience by the time you apply. So that's good enough to get an admission to a Bschool. You can try programs like HBS 2+2. Check this link for details: http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/2+2/

- Sougata

Quote Originally Posted by greenvinu@yahoo.co.in
    Well, LSE is out of question since its to costly (GBP 21000+) Even LSB, Manchester, Kings and Imperial are very expensive!!

One more chance is Leeds or York!! York has better rankings in every survey (always top 10) Any other you suggest?

And yeah, I want to work in UK for atleast 2 years to get international exposure!!

One more choice is going for MBA(I just have 1.6 years of experience) So what Universities do you suggest for MBA which requires no experience!!

How much will the MS program at University of York cost you?
    Not only will you be investing money but also your time and efforts. So keep your options open regarding the MBA and analyze whether it'll be a good investment or not.

Want to go for Deeper knowledge in Finance....Want be research and equity analyst...So I am confused...whether to go for MBA or MSc

University of York, Bradford, Bath, Nottingham cost GBP 12,000

While LSE is around GBP 25,000

If you think its best for my profile....which colleges/Universities will you refer?

Goal:
    Research Analyst or
    Equity/investment Analyst or
    Working with Rating Agencies

Quote Originally Posted by sougatab

You'll be having 2+ years of experience by the time you apply. So that's good enough to get an admission to a Bschool. You can try programs like HBS 2+2. Check this link for details: http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/2+2/

- Sougata

Cant apply to HBS 2+2 program. Not eligible since I am out of college and completed my degree 2 years ago

Hi Sougata,

I want to know that can we compare HBS 2+2 course with the normal MBA which requires round 3+ years of work Ex?

Thanks
    Ashish

Quote Originally Posted by greenvinu@yahoo.co.in
    Quote Originally Posted by sougatab

- Sougata

Cant apply to HBS 2+2 program. Not eligible since I am out of college and completed my degree 2 years ago
    I will be having around 18-20 months of Ex. by the time this course starts. so am I eligible?

No...we are not eligible....well atleast I have to apply before my 6th Semesters... BTW are you still in college?!